Every month, we’re sharing bite-size summaries of the top social media best practices, trends and actionable insights we’ve come across. Both from our own experience working with our clients, and from what we’ve been reading around the web.
See if you can apply these July tips to improve your reach, engagement and follower growth. Just be sure to always test before changing your strategy entirely, as not every technique works for every type of account.
1. TikTok tip: Prioritize sound
TikTok users are also more receptive to sound elements in ads than they are on other platforms. In fact, people mostly experience sound as “fun” on TikTok. While on other platforms, people can find sounds more distracting or even annoying.
So, to ensure your brand resonates on TikTok, be sure to focus on audio as one of the primary driver of your video creative.
2. Instagram stories tip: Create fun effects with the eraser tool
Instagram stories’ eraser tool can do much more than just remove unwanted elements. You can use it to create all sorts of cool effects in your stories.
Here’s an example by Later.com: Use the drawing tool to create a zigzag around a person or object. Then use the eraser tool to remove parts of the zig-zag to create a 3D effect.
3. LinkedIn tip: Grow your following with the dedicated company page features
To boost your company page’s organic reach and grow your follower base, LinkedIn recommends the following features and more in their June blog post:
- Invite connections to follow: Ask selected first-degree connections to follow your company page. This feature is available to page admins. You can invite up to 100 connections between you each month. And with each connection that accepts, you’ll get a credit back to invite yet another connection.
- Join relevant # conversations as your brand: You can choose to associate up to 3 hashtags with your page. You’ll then be able to react and comment on conversations taking place on these hashtag feeds from the perspective of your brand.
- Notify employees of your recent posts: Hit the Notify Employee button on your latest post to alert employees and encourage them to engage with your content. You can do this up to one time per day.
4. Social media trend: Give athletes the spotlight to engage Gen Z
In sports, individual athletes are more popular among Gen Z fans, compared to any team or league. Younger fans want a one-on-one connection with the athletes. They want to get to know their personalities. They want to understand every detail of an athlete’s performance and opinions.
You can meet this demand on social media by sharing individual player match highlights, publishing exclusive interview content, celebrating their personal milestones, and sharing personal moments – both on and off the field.
5. YouTube tip: Establish a consistent brand
A YouTube Product Manager released a video in June with her 5 recommendations on how to grow as a small channel. One of her tips was to create and establish your brand.
Having a strong brand and consistent style helps your audience become familiar with your channel and recognize your videos when they are offered in recommendations. Be sure to develop a clear style and apply it across your thumbnails, graphics, fonts, colors and video titles for best results.
6. Social media tip: Let your employees tell your brand story
Your employees are your best promoters and influencers. Tap into this influence by encouraging them to post about your brand on their own social media channels. This will help increase your reach and amplify your messages.
Make it easy for them with ready-made content to share, create fun photo opportunities, or invite them to take over your company accounts for a set period of time to showcase their behind-the-scenes activities..
Get more tips on improving your employer brand social media strategy from our employer branding expert Nadine.
7. Twitter trend: Join the sports conversation
New U.S. stats from Twitter reveal that conversations around sports are growing on the platform. Not only are more sports fans joining Twitter, but the number of tweets about sports are also growing exponentially:
- 30 tweets about sports are posted every second.
- There are 24+ million unique sports authors.
- Football, basketball, soccer and baseball are the fastest-growing sports topics.
8. Social media trends: Stay up to date with the latest platform updates
- Instagram reversed reach penalty for feed posts re-shared to stories (while it no doubts continues to look for alternative ways to stop people re-sharing feed posts to their stories).
- Instagram now enables creators to tag up to 2 brands in a single piece of branded content.
- Instagram launched Reels ads in all regions.
- Twitter launched its Twitter Blue subscription service. This service gives users access to a range of additional tweet features and perks for a monthly fee.
- Facebook is rolling out live audio rooms to Facebook Groups and public figures in the U.S..
Get more social media tips and ideas from our experts
- Read our top social media tips and trends for June and May 2021.
- Get 4 recommendations on how to engage Gen Z sports fans on social media.
- Discover how you and your team can create awesome and always on-brand social media images and videos in just a few clicks with our template-based content creation tool.
Follow us on LinkedIn to get our monthly social media tips straight to your feed!